Thursday, July 26, 2012

Show you my papers? But I'm White!



In one of the readings for this week, the idea of bringing laws similar Arizona’s controversial immigrant laws into Ohio is discussed. The legal battle against illegals is now going on very close to my home town of Mason, OH. Like anything else, the advocates have their support in opposition. Those on the supporting side believe that this is necessary to combatting the influx of illegals into this area, while those in the other side believe morally wrong and racist law. While logical points are made on both sides to an extent, in the end I couldn’t find myself believing that this was a good law for Ohio. Upon looking at the facts objectively, I realized two major things that I believe make this law illogical. Also, I consider a, though maybe not ideal, perhaps useable compromise.
We’re Not Arizona

One major reason I feel States Rights exist is because two states in two entirely different regions of the country do not stand to benefit from the same type of laws in all situations. In Arizona, constant influxes of people just across the border, gang violence from immigrant gangs, and fights with the drug cartels are a daily reality of life. While I don’t agree with their new policies, I do understand that in an environment like that more drastic measures do need to be taken. In Ohio, these provisions come more from the fact that we’ve simply had an influx of Mexican Immigrants and there is speculation that they are taking jobs away from Ohioans who want them (speculation that I haven’t really seen any statistics to back up). While that’s still a problem that may need to be addressed, its hard for me to believe that in a comparatively mild situation like Ohio’s that new laws like Arizona’s wouldn’t do more harm than good.

The Race Question

I ask a very simple question about these new laws, one nobody can seem to answer. How DOES one present reasonable suspicion of being illegal if you aren’t racially profiling? Obviously, racial and ethnic profiling violates federal laws, but no one seems to be able to explain to me how officers get around that and form suspicion. Honestly, I feel like they don’t. I feel like if such laws were enacted they’d come up with some kind of an official vale for it, and then do just that. For that reason, one major revision I feel needs to be made.

The Solution

I realize it would cause problems all its own, but I feel the only way to be able to make this work effectively without profiling is to simply only check arrested persons and check everyone who is arrested. If every person who is arrested is checked, then you can still figure out who is illegal without having to use prejudice to do so. I realize this would take resources and cause some frustration logistically, but I feel it’s the only fair way. 

No comments:

Post a Comment